Workforce Training FAQs
On this page, you will find a list of frequently asked questions about our workforce training programs.
Question: What types of programs does “workforce training” encompass?
Answer: Girl Security uses the term “workforce training” to embody the dedicated learning and training programs we provide to participants interested in developing the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in national security careers. Several programs live under the Workforce Training “umbrella”:
- Fellowship Programs: These application-based programs combine employability skills with transferable national security competences and key subject matter expertise designed to prepare participants for a rapidly changing workforce environment. Workshops and seminars are led by our esteemed adjunct faculty of women and gender minority leaders from across multiple national security sectors. Upon successful completion of each fellowship, graduates are invited to join the Girl Security Alumni Network.
- Curriculum Development: To achieve an even broader reach, Girl Security is authoring curricula to be implemented in classrooms across the nation. More details will be released about this exciting endeavor as they are available.
- Alumni Network: The Girl Security Alumni Network supports graduates of the fellowship programs with continued professional development, career-focused networking, and leadership opportunities within the organization. Membership is free-of-charge.
Question: Is there a cost associated with these programs?
- Fellowship Programs: Fellowship programs are free for participants. Participants have the opportunity to earn a stipend with successful completion of the program.
- Curriculum: Once available, curricular resources will be made available for purchase by educators, schools, school districts, and individual participants.
- Alumni Network: Free of charge.
Question: Who is eligible to apply for the fellowship programs?
Answer: Each fellowship program is specifically tailored to support participants in a targeted season along their career pathway. Currently, we offer the following fellowship program:
- National Fellows: 12-week, 100% virtual (synchronous & asynchronous) training program supporting those who have completed high school (or equivalent) but not yet received a Bachelor’s degree.
Question: Do you need experience or an academic background in security studies to apply to fellowship programs?
Answer: Girl Security prides itself on making content and learning accessible to participants of all experience levels. While an interest in national security is a must, prior experience in the field is not. We welcome interested applicants from all backgrounds and educational pathways to apply.
Question: I have additional questions not covered here. How can I find out more?
Answer: We are happy to answer any additional questions you may have. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.